Join Now About Dave Ramsey FAQ

You need Macromedia Flash Player 8+ to view the tour.
Click below to download the free player.
Username
Password
Remember Me

Dave Ramsey's My Total Money Makeover Community

Dave Ramsey's principles on handling money are restoring hope in the lives of others. My Total Money Makeover has become one of the most trusted online communities in the area of personal finance. It's a place people feel comfortable asking questions about specific financial situations. Millions of dollars in debt have been paid off by My Total Money Makeover members by using this site to make a plan and stay motivated toward reaching their goals. Do you want to be a member? To get started, click here.
My Total Money Makeover Community
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: explanation of the "four walls?'"
Topic Summary: order in which to pay?
Created On: 08/16/2011 11:10 AM
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/16/2011 11:10 AM
User is offline Print this message

MyTMMO User
I confess, I've done stupid

Hi,
I have read Dave's book, but still wonder what covering the four walls first means? I have seen it many times here and just want clarification. Thanks!
Would you like to contribute to this conversation? Learn How : Link To : Top : Bottom
 08/16/2011 11:13 AM

MyTMMO User
I'm not normal

4 walls: basic necessities

1st: Food
2nd: Utilities (NOT cable or dish, basics like electric, water, gas, BASIC phone service, BASIC internet if that's a need for what you do)
3rd: Mortgage or Rent payment
4th: Transportation (pay your car payment if you have one, put gas in it, have insurance on it)

He also says clothing is one of the 4 walls, but then he says that most people usually have enough clothing to get by on. I hope this helps.
Would you like to contribute to this conversation? Learn How : Link To : Top : Bottom
 08/16/2011 11:27 AM

MyTMMO User
More Than Enough

Je_ruhl said it all! It's just a priority list of what's most important, if you only have so much money and it's only going to go so far.
 08/16/2011 12:04 PM

MyTMMO User
I am Dave

Agreed. The basic idea is not to go hungry to pay credit cards. Eat first, make sure your basic needs are met, then save or pay debts.
 08/16/2011 12:55 PM

MyTMMO User
Golden Gazelle

You pay all of those 4 things BEFORE you pay credit cards. Sadly, we often have new folks here who are 3 months behind on their mortgage payment, but have not missed any credit card payments. They have it backwards.
 08/16/2011 01:14 PM
User is online Print this message

MyTMMO User
Family Tree Changer

Housing also includes homeowner's or renter's insurance

Meds that are necessary for good health
 08/16/2011 08:48 PM

MyTMMO User
I confess, I've done stupid

Thank you all for clarification. I know what you mean about the credit cards sometimes getting paid first. Though we haven't had that happen, there have been times when other things get paid over what is most important. This is a good reminder!
 08/16/2011 09:05 PM
User is online Print this message

MyTMMO User
I stole Dave's boat

The reason he tells you to always pay your four walls first is because even if money is tight and creditors are calling and you're stressed, you will handle it all better, you'll function better, you'll have some measure of peace knowing that you and your family have food, shelter and transportation. You'll work better, you'll handle stress better, you'll deal with life much better if your 4 walls are secure and in place. There's not much peace in having Visa up to date if your stomach is growling and you're afraid there might be foreclosure papers waiting for you when you get home. Ya know? At least if your belly is full and you have a roof over your head, you can think clearly enough to deal with Visa when they call.
Statistics
There are currently 43 users logged in.

© 2014 Lampo Licensing, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.